Here are a couple of links on how to render light scattering effect (aka. volumetric shadows):
- GPU Gems 3, chapter 13: Volumetric Light Scattering as a Post-Process
- SIGGRAPH 2010 paper: Epipolar sampling for shadows and crepuscular rays in participating media with single scattering
- Intel article: IVB Atmospheric Light Scattering
- Unity plugin implementing above Intel article: Light shafts Unity plugin
- Slides: Volumetric Lighting for Many Lights in Lords of the Fallen
- Sébastien Hillaire wrote an article on dynamic volumetric lighting with temporal upsampling.
Thanks for the information.