When I was a child, astronomy was a big thing to me, and while I gave up on the idea of ever becoming an astronomer since then, I am still in love with that field. At the time, images would come from books, a scarce resource to a kiddie. But nowadays, high quality pictures are just a click away, on websites such as the Astronomy Picture of the Day.
One of the recent missions that most impresses me is the Cassini one. The images that spacecraft has provided over the last years on its journey to Saturn and its satellites are magnificent.
Here are a couple of photos taken by the Cassini spacecraft:
- Saturn: Shadows of a Seasonal Sundial
- Cassini Spacecraft Crosses Saturn’s Ring Plane
- Moons and Rings Before Saturn
- Enceladus Looms
- Titan, Rings, and Saturn from Cassini
- Saturn: Light, Dark, and Strange
- Prometheus Creating Saturn Ring Streamers
- In the Shadow of Saturn
Also don’t miss the compilation published on the The Big Picture.